Monday, October 3, 2011

Repressive Hypothesis and Foucault...

Roach writes in the 'Foreplay' section of Bonk that "Sex is one of those rare topics wherein the desire for others to keep the nitty-gritty of their experiences private is stronger than the wish to keep mum on one's own nitty-gritty" (17)--she wonders periodically as to why this is.  Of course many of us share this same sort of desire--to keep our own sexual proclivities and exploits somehow clandestine and shrouded in mystery.  But as I read the book, I couldn't help but think NO SHIT! and Foucault!!! at the same time...

For those who don't know Foucault (and you should) I've included a link to a brief history/explanation of one of his main ideas; the Repressive Hypothesis (here for your reading pleasure; brought to you by Purdue University) which I think is highly relevant to our discussion of Bonk

I have a feeling we'll be reading some part of History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault this semester, and I don't want to step on any toes, but I thought it would be an interesting and informative read.

No comments:

Post a Comment